Frensham Pond Sailability 2011 / 12 Highlights
2012 Memorable year for Frensham Pond Sailability
- For the unprecedented sixth year in succession, FPS retained the RYA Ben Ainslie National Access Team Trophy for the best aggregate performance in Access Class events over the season
10th Anniversary 2011
- Frensham Pond Sailability celebrated its 10th anniversary in July 2011. A celebration took place with many guests including the Mayor of Waverley, the Mayor of Farnham and representatives from RYA Sailability, local charities, Rotary Clubs, donors, supporters and friends of Frensham Pond Sailability. Disabled helms and crew put on a sail-by display.
- Frensham Pond Sailability achieved registered charitable status.
- Sailing as usual every Thursday and Saturday morning from April until the end of October ranging from "therapeutic" cruising to fully competitive racing. Paralympic class 2.4mR racing continued throughout the winter months.
- 127 regular sailing members. 55% of these attending independently, and 43% through groups. A further 80 disabled youngsters and adults sailing on single visits. Approximately 1500 "sailor sessions" on the water during the season.
- Organisations sailing with FPS included Abbey School, Stepping Stones School, The Ridgeway School, Treloar College, Disability Challengers, Disability Initiative, Hydon Hill Cheshire Home, Southampton Sports Association for the Disabled and Woodlarks Summer Camp.
- Sailing Achievements continue to be encouraged and recognised at all levels.
- First Sailability sailor to achieve RYA Dinghy Instructor
- Sailability sailor achieved RYA race coach
- High level of participation by students from special school maintained
- 8 young sailors presented with RYA Sailability Achievement Certificates
- Continued development of racing interest and skills through regular Thursday afternoon training
- FPS Access sailors raced at 12 venues across the country
- FPS hosted Access National Championships in June 2011. Notable success of our sailors
- 2.4mR open meeting in May 2011
- 2.4mR late winter series in Frensham Pond Sailing Club won by an FPS disabled sailor beating able-bodied sailors
- 4 FPS sailors competed in the Access Class European Championships in Italy. Achieved a silver medal in the Access 2.3 Class and bronze medal in the Access 303 Class. All four sailors contributed to the Great Britain team winning the TROFEO PAM for the top European nation
- 3 FPS sailors went to the Access Class French Nationals just north of Paris
- 2 FPS sailors went to the Mobility Cup in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 8 FPS sailors participated in RYA Sailability Multiclass Regatta at Rutland Water winning many prizes
- Most of the above events were supported by our strong band of volunteer helpers
- Integration into Frensham Pond Sailing Club's mainstream sailing activities continues successfully. 2.4mR mini keelboat racing sailed by disabled and able-bodied helms continues as part of the Club's racing programme on a Saturday afternoon throughout the year. Access dinghies and 2.4mR also sailed in the Club's Superprix in the Spring and the annual 10 Hour Race in July
- Continued investment in the FPS fleet, now totaling 26 boats. Two new Access 303s were purchased "Amy2" and "Red Admiral". Laser Stratos keelboat purchased in the middle of last year has been very popular and a worthy addition to fleet.
- Another very active year socially: Supper Dance in January, FPS Fitting Out Supper in March, BBQ at the end of July, Laying Up Supper at the end of October.
- Quarterly editions of the FPS Newsletter "Breaking Wind" produced. Well received within FPS and with our sponsors.
- Band of enthusiastic and dedicated helpers continues to grow (now totally more than 90) but more still needed.
- New local giving website set up at www.localgiving.com/frenshampondsailability to support fundraising
- More information can be found on our website www.frenshampondsailability.org.uk