Frensham Pond Sailability 2006 Highlights
- Very successful, enjoyable and busy fifth year - following Frensham Pond Sailability's launch in September 2001
- Sailing held every Thursday and Saturday morning from 1 April to end October, plus 2 Wednesday visits by Woodlarks Summer Camp. Paralympic class 2.4mR mini-keelboat and Access 303 racing continuing through the winter.
- 95 active and regular sailing members, approximately 77% attending independently, 23% through organisations. A further 161 disabled youngsters and adults sailed on single visits. Approximately 1360 'sailor sessions' on the water during the year, a 24% increase versus last year. Continuing growth in younger sailors particularly pleasing.
- Organisations sailing with FPS during 2006 included William Cobbett Junior School Special Unit, Abbey Special School, Stepping Stones School, St Dominic's School, Treloar College, Hemihelp, Hydon Hill Cheshire Home, Whitmore Vale Housing Association, Sportability, Disability Initiative, Elizabeth Fitzroy Support, Unstead Park, Southampton Sports Association for the Disabled and Woodlarks Summer Camp (up to 50 sailors plus helpers per visit for sailing and on-site BBQ).
- 2 Access 303(S) boats added to the Sailability fleet (now totalling 20 boats) in 2006; one funded by a generous private donor, the other from FPS reserves.
- FPS continued to offer a wide range of sailing experiences - from 'therapeutic' cruising around Frensham Pond to fully competitive and integrated racing. Sailing highlights included:
- Access National Sailing Championships held at Frensham 1/2 September, 36 boats, 52 sailors participated in very challenging weather conditions - a major success!
- FPS sailors raced at Cotswald Water Park, Rutland, Wolverstone (Ipswich) and Burghfield and Tideway (Surrey Docks)
- Taster sail day in June for 50 youngsters with Hemiplegia
- Frensham Pond Sailability 2.4mR Open in November
- 12 young sailors presented with RYA Sailability Achievement Certificates
- 5 day RYA Dinghy sailing Part 1 & 2 course held in October - attended by 4 sailors and 8 helpers
- Integration into Frensham Pond Sailing Club's mainstream sailing activities continued. 2.4mR mini keelboat racing, with a mixture of able-bodied and disabled helms, now formally part of the Club's racing programme on Saturday afternoons throughout the year. Two Access dinghies and two 2.4mR teams also sailed in the club's annual 10 Hour Race in July.
- Plans and funding in place to construct additional permanent jetty in 2007 to support disabled sailing and 2.4mR fleet
- Socially very active year - Supper dance (January), FPS 'Fitting Out' supper (March), BBQ evening (August) and 'Laying Up' Supper (November)
- Promotional activitis included discussion on Delta Radio, third prize in class for FPS float at Farnham Carnival and talks to local organisations
- Band of enthusiastic and dedicated helpers continues to grow (now totalling over 50) but more still needed! The continued involvement in 2006 of a number of the Club's junior and youth sailors was particularly pleasing.
- Continued programme for increasing the formal training and qualifications of volunteer helpers; 7 helpers gained RYA Assistant Instructor qualification, 20 helpers gained or renewed RYA Emergency First Aid Certificates during 2006
Plans for 2007: More of the above, plus: Thursday afternoon racing sessions for the more experienced sailors, additional Access 303W, new jetty and Sailability personal equipment and dressing hut in place. New sailing season starting Thursday 5th April.